Rochester Hills dentist provides emergency dental care
At John L. Aurelia, DDS, PLLC, in Rochester Hills, MI, we understand that accidents happen. A dental emergency can be a frightening and painful experience. Our team is available when an urgent problem occurs and we can assist with same day care and over the phone consultation and advice.
In any emergency, the most important steps are to remain calm, seek professional assistance, ease discomfort, and preserve the tooth or dental work if possible. Some common dental accidents or injuries, and tips to deal with them, include:
- Knocked out tooth – keep the tooth moist and avoid touching the root. The tooth may be placed back into the socket or kept between the gum and cheek. Milk or an over-the-counter product approved by the American Dental Association may be used to preserve the tooth.
- Toothache – gently rinse the mouth and floss if debris is caught between teeth.
- Cracked or chipped tooth – rinse with warm water and apply cold pressure to prevent swelling.
- Particles between teeth – gently floss and rinse.
- Bite or cut to the lip or tongue – cleanse with warm water and use a cold compress for swelling.
Dental emergencies can often be prevented. Wearing a protective mouth guard when engaging in sports or high-energy activities is advisable. Never use teeth as a tool to cut, tear, or pry anything apart. Use caution when chewing hard food items and candies.
Dental first aid items that are helpful to have on hand include clean gauze, floss, soft ice packs or compresses, and the phone number to our family dental practice.
Dr. Aurelia and our team are experienced, compassionate, and attentive dental professionals. We know that, in an emergency situation or any time, our patients will feel most comfortable dealing with our familiar and trusted staff. That’s why we offer a complete array of advanced oral health care including family, emergency, cosmetic, reconstructive, preventive, and surgical dentistry.
John L. Aurelia, DDS, PLLC, serves families from Rochester Hills, Auburn Hills, Shelby Township, Troy, Lake Orion, and surrounding areas in Michigan. Appointments may be requested online or by calling us at (248) 243-6044.